Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf e.V.
Through cutting-edge research in the fields of ENERGY, HEALTH and MATTER, Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR) solves some of the pressing societal and industrial challenges of our time. Join our 1.500 employees from more than 50 nations at one of our six research sites and help us moving research to the next level!
The Center for Advanced Systems Understanding (CASUS) is a German-Polish research center for data-intensive digital systems research. CASUS was founded in 2019 in Görlitz and conducts digital interdisciplinary systems research in various fields such as earth systems research, systems biology and materials research.
The Young Investigator Group on Dynamics of Complex Living Systems at CASUS is looking for a PostDoc (f/m/d) in computational modeling of root dynamics and belowground plant interactions.
PostDoc (f/m/d) in computational modeling of root dynamics and belowground plant interactions
The position will be available at the earliest possible date. The employment contract is limited to two years with the possibility of longer-term prospects.
The successful candidate (f/m/d) will be part of an interdisciplinary team studying how soil complexity and biophysical processes shape patterns of root growth and ultimately ecological interactions between plants and large scale spatial patterns of vegetation coverage. In particular, the postdoc (f/m/d) will develop and extend computational models for root growth in different environmental conditions and fit them to high resolution spatiotemporal data.
- Develop and analyze mathematical models of root resource acquisition based on multivariate optimization (Cabal et al. Science 2020, bioRxiv 2023)
- Fit models to high resolution spatio-temporal data of root growth
- Extrapolate parameterized models to large population sizes and quantify the emergent spatial distribution of root biomass
- Work closely with our extensive network of international collaborators including ecologist, and soil and material scientists at SIRIUS-CNPEM, Brazil; Princeton University, USA; and National Museum of Natural Sciences, Spain
- Publish results in academic, peer-reviewed journals
- Present results at scientific meetings
- PhD degree in a relevant field such as physics, applied mathematics, operations research, computer sciences, quantitative ecology, environmental sciences, or a related field
- Excellent programming skills in at least one of the following programming languages: Python, R, Julia, Fortran, C/C++
- Advanced knowledge of a symbolic calculation software such as Mathematica is desirable
- Familiarity with ecological and evolutionary theory, especially evolutionary game theory, is a plus but not required
- Evidence of the ability to publish results in top peer-reviewed journals
- Strong motivation to work in a collaborative and multidisciplinary environment
- Excellent communication skills in English and in a professional context (presentation of research results at scientific meetings, colloquial discussions, writing of manuscripts)
What we offer:
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- A wide range of qualification opportunities and individual career counseling provided by the Postdoc Center HZDR-TUD
- Salary and social benefits in accordance with the collective agreement for the public sector (TVöD-Bund) including 30 days of paid holiday leave, company pension scheme (VBL)
- We support a good work-life balance with the possibility of part-time employment, mobile working and flexible working hours
- Numerous company health management offerings
- Employee discounts with well-known providers via the platform Corporate Benefits
How to apply:
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system: https://www.hzdr.de/db/