Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf e.V.
Through cutting-edge research in the fields of ENERGY, HEALTH and MATTER, Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR) solves some of the pressing societal and industrial challenges of our time. Join our 1.500 employees from more than 50 nations at one of our six research sites and help us moving research to the next level!
The Institute of Radiation Physics conducts research for states of matter under extreme conditions and in very small dimensions.
The High-field THz-driven Phenomena project group invites applications as
Research Associate / PostDoc (f/m/d) within the Tera-EXPOSE project
The position is available at the earliest starting date. The employment contract is limited to three years.
In focus are the setup and characterization of a time- and angle-resolved photoelectron spectroscopy experiment as part of the BMBF project Tera-EXPOSE. A high-power laser system consisting of a pump laser with 3.5 mJ pulse energy at 100 kHz repetition rate with attached OPCPA and an HHG-based XUV source serves as the light source here. Photoelectrons will be characterized with a hemispherical analyzer (Phoibos 150, Specs GmbH).
- Within the project, setup, optimization, and characterization of new laser-based terahertz and XUV sources
- Implementation and testing of the integration of the accelerator-based terahertz source TELBE into the setup described above
- Conducting THz streaking experiments to quantify the interaction between THz pulses and the nascent photoelectrons as a first important step
- Design and implementation of first experiments on THz-driven processes on surfaces investigated by photoelectron spectroscopy
- Contact and exchange with cooperation partners within the Tera-EXPOSE project (AG Dmitry Turchinovich, Universität Bielefeld)
- Carrying out and supporting a wide range of experiments on THz-driven dynamics investigated with optical methods, especially during the beam times at the TELBE THz source
- Completed doctorate in a natural science subject, especially physics or physical chemistry
- Relevant experience with the above scientific methods and instruments, especially time-resolved photoelectron spectroscopy.
- Additional experience in at least one of the following areas: Ultrafast spectroscopy, femtosecond laser systems, terahertz (THz) spectroscopy, nonlinear optics, ultrahigh vacuum, solid state physics.
- Great interest in interdisciplinary research
- Motivation, stamina and curiosity to work independently on very complex and lengthy problems
- Good language skills in English
What we offer:
- A young working group with flat hierarchies and the opportunity to realize your own experimental ideas within the framework of the Tera-EXPOSE project
- Access to and work on state-of-the-art scientific infrastructure, especially femtosecond laser sources from the terahertz to the IR/VIS and XUV range
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- A wide range of qualification opportunities and individual career counseling provided by the Postdoc Center HZDR-TUD
- The employment contract is limited to three years with the possibility of longer-term prospects
- Salary and social benefits in accordance with the collective agreement for the public sector (TVöD-Bund) including 30 days of paid holiday leave, company pension scheme (VBL)
- We support a good work-life balance with the possibility of part-time employment and flexible working hours
- Numerous company health management offerings
- An employer subsidy for the VVO job ticket
How to apply: